| featured projects
| VDOT Site Manager
VDOT Site Manager
SiteManager construction management software is an American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) product and module of TRNS*PORT. Virginia was one of the lead states in the original development process for this software. The overall objective of the project is to utilize the latest technology to provide engineers, technicians, and construction administrators with a set of tools to help them effectively and efficiently manage the state's construction program. The Virginia Department of Transportation is launching this new tool for managing statewide inspection, contract administration and contractor payment activities. When fully implemented, SiteManager is expected to replace the Construction Work Book (CWB) and Contract Administration (CAS) software, as well as make available additional capabilities to inspectors, construction administration and materials management.
- SiteManager Parallel Testing and User Acceptance Testing: Paral- lel testing required entering and tracking contract data in both SiteManager and Construction WorkBook on the Genito Road and Judes Ferry construction projects. User acceptance included development and review of test scripts to ensure adequate functionality of software throughout various project phases. This also includes development and review of system reports as valuable user tools.
- Development of Technical Manuals: AMT is actively involved in identifying learning objectives and addressing training issues. AMTs staff prepared the current VDOT SiteManager User Manual and the System Managers Guide. The training materials dev eloped by AMT are posted on VDOT's internal SiteManager web site and are being used statewide. AMT is responsible for updates to the User Manual.
- Development of Instructional Materials: AMT was tasked with the responsibility of developing instructional guides and class exercises and outlines. The instructional guides were tested by various districts and through updated program versions.
- Technical Support: AMT provided training assistance in Culpeper and Northern Virginia districts during 2003. We will provide technical Helpdesk support and training in the Richmond District and are tentatively scheduled to assist with training in the Culpeper District later this year. Additionally, our staff is on standby to provide backup support to VDOT's Central Office Helpdesk.
AMT staff members serve on VDOT's:
- SiteManager Training Committee
- User Testing Committee Implementation Advisory Group
- Parallel Training and Documentation Committee
- Parallel Participants in Richmond and Hampton Roads
We coordinated testing and training within the Richmond District and are coordinating Pilot training and software installations for Richmond scheduled for March and April. The instructional materials cover all program areas involved with construction management, from initialization of the contracts at VDOT's Central Office all the way through to finalization of the contract by auditors. Due to AMT's role through the years as technical support for construction inspection staff, we were able to incorporate recommendations from field personnel that resulted in more beneficial instructional materials. This will be seen throughout the manual and training materials.
The end result of this project:
- A technical manual for all users that is user friendly, yet provides extensive detailed instructions on how to use SiteManager to accomplish tasks at hand,
- Comprehensive training materials,
- Knowledgeable trainers and Helpdesk support for new software,
- Thorough testing of new software, in which problems are identified and resolved before the program is launched to all users.
Other Featured Projects