AOC Summerhouse on the Capitol Grounds
The Summerhouse is a hexagonal structure which was built on the northwest section of the U.S. Capitol Grounds in 1880.
Frederick Law Olmsted added it to the Capitol Grounds as part of an enlargement as a respite for visitors to the Capitol grounds. The Summerhouse was in need of significant stabilization, restoration and repair from so many years of exposure to the elements and atrophy.
AMT worked with the design architect to stabilize the structure, working around specimen trees, and repairing lateral displacement of the walls. We then went about restoring and repairing the structure, regrading and improving the drainage, utilities and erosion and sediment control. We further designed a new water pumping system for the fountain and drainage for the planters, all while keeping the historic design of the structure intact.