U.S. Census Bureau Headquarters
AMT was responsible for comprehensive civil engineering, drainage, surveying and subsurface utility engineering at the new 2.5 million-square-foot, LEED Gold Certified U.S. Census Bureau Headquarters that consolidated the Bureau staff.
The U.S. Census Bureau staff were scattered among six separate office buildings. When the time came to consolidate the 6,000 employees prior to the 2010 census, the General Services Administration contracted AMT to perform the comprehensive civil engineering, surveying and subsurface utility engineering services for the site design, permitting, and construction at its new headquarters facility. The facility, located in the Suitland Federal Center, is comprised of two office buildings totaling 1.5 million square feet and approximately 1 million square feet of parking in two garages. The parking garages feature green roofs for which AMT participated in the design, and accommodate almost 3,100 vehicles. Design documents used ASCE’s Sustainable Sites Initiative concepts and contributed sustainable design elements to help the facility obtain a LEED Silver certification from the US Green Building Council. Dedicated on October 26, 2006, the massive main complex was designed and constructed in just 39 months, saving a full year in delivery time over the traditional design-bid-build process.
AMT received a GSA Award for outstanding civil engineering and surveying services for this project.
The Project was featured in the Design-Build Association of America’s Dateline Magazine.
Services provided by AMT included:
- Subsurface utility locating using ground penetrating radar,
- electromagnetic detection, probes and sondes to accurately map existing utilities.
- Topographic surveys.
- Natural resource survey, forest stand delineation and forest conservation plans.
- Wetlands delineation and environmental permitting.
- Initial site mobilization and temporary parking.
- Planning and design for maintenance of vehicular and pedestrian circulation during construction.
- Early excavation and utility relocation plans including rough grading and relocation of storm drainage, sanitary sewers, potable water, hot and chilled water, gas, and power and telecommunication infrastructure.
- Phased plans for site construction including roadways paving and storm drainage, utility services, site lighting, pedestrian connections and security barriers.
- Planning, design and coordination of primary electrical service duct banks..
- Storm water management including multiple ponds, bio-retention facilities and green roofs.
- Stream stabilization and restoration.
- Erosion and sediment control design and permitting.
- Construction Administration
- Construction Engineering and Surveys