Little Bennett Park/Day Use Area
AMT provided facility planning, civil engineering, landscape architecture, agency permitting, site surveying, and geotechnical services for the Little Bennett Regional Park/Day Use Area; a 110 acre park that serves as the new “Gateway Area” for Little Bennett Regional Park.
The facility planning and design included a trail network connecting various amenities throughout the park. The trails, 9,000 linear feet total, ranged between 5’ and 12’ wide. Many of the 12’ trail sections were designed to allow for the safe passage of a park maintenance vehicle. Many of the trails were designed to ADA standards, to ensure that the overall park was ADA compliant. Trail materials included gravel, asphalt, permeable pavement, grass-crete and reinforced turf. In two instances, trail sections were also designed to accommodate fire truck access.
AMT worked collaboratively with M-NCPPC Park staff to determine the location of site elements such as trails and parking lots, as well as how to integrate Environmental Site Design (ESD) measures into the park design. Stormwater management facilities including permeable pavements, bioswales, and micro-bioretention facilities were incorporated into the layout, creating a park that complies with new ESD regulations. In all, AMT:
- Developed the internal hiker/biker circulation and the vehicular circulation and parking
- Prepared permits to include forest conservation, Stormwater Management Concept (ESD), and coordination with SHA and Montgomery County DOT
- Determined appropriate improvements for vehicular access off Route 355
- Developed 30% construction documents, specifications and cost estimates
- Attend presentations to the Development Review Committee, citizen’s forum and adjacent property owners’ requirements, while also ensuring the long-term health of the trees.
- Surveyed existing site conditions and review of existing site conditions and background
- Performed a geotechnical analysis, report and recommendations for major site elements and stormwater management.