Dulles Water and Sewer System Design
AMT was involved in a number of recent improvements at Dulles International Airport including the New Airport Traffic Control Tower, Tier 2 Building and associated People Mover Tunnel Station.
AMT was involved in a number of recent improvements at Dulles International Airport including the new airport traffic control tower, the Tier 2 building and associated People Mover tunnel station.
As it supports one of the largest international airports in the world, the space below Dulles International Airport is occupied by myriad electrical, fire, terminal utility, airplane fuel and waste discharge lines as well as both domestic and dedicated fire water supply lines. This entire infrastructure needed to be accounted for when designing a water and sewer system for the airport’s phased expansions.
AMT created designs for water, sanitary sewer, gas, power and communication that supplies existing infrastructure, proposed and future construction. We further designed stormwater pollution prevention, storm drainage, parking lot and entrance roadways, and then planned traffic maintenance, construction phasing and AOA fencing. Working across the tarmac areas required careful planning to minimize disruptions to active airfields and airport operations. Trenchless methods such as micro tunneling were used for crossings under runways and taxiways.
In addition, AMT designed the power and communication duct banks to service the new control tower and Federal Aviation Administration facilities. This included more than 36,000 linear feet of duct banks throughout the airport area.
- 2,500 linear feet of domestic water line extension
- 1,000 linear feet of dedicated fire service
- 1,500 linear feet of gravity sanitary sewer line
- Construction Phasing Plans
- Permitting of sewer through the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
- Plans and computations for domestic water permit from the Virginia Department of Health
Tier 2 Concourse C and APM Station
- Water Systems
- 16,000 linear feet of 14- and 24-inch dedicated fire service
- 8,000 linear feet of 6-, 8- and 10- inch water main
- Permitting of sewer through VDEQ
- 4 sewage pump stations and separate control vaults, designed for interim & ultimate conditions, with submersible duplex pumps
- 6,000 linear feet of 8- and 10-inch gravity lines
- 3,000 linear feet of two-and four-inch force main
- 1,000 linear feet of two-inch force main (interim condition)
- Plans and computations for domestic water permit from VDH