Traffic Studies & Analysis
How Will My Project Affect Traffic?
Traffic studies and analyses are used to determine how much additional traffic will be generated from a new development or redevelopment project. They are also used to determine the extent of congestion problems on increasingly trafficked corridors or street networks due to population growth or tourism. Through forecasting, traffic data collection, traffic modeling and analysis, we can help.
We Predict the Future – Accurately
Is it time to widen this stretch of highway? How will traffic be affected by new development? Why does this intersection seem particularly prone to accidents?
Some of the specific studies and analyses we offer to help answer these questions include:
- Capacity Studies, which are conducted based on the procedures of the 2010 Highway Capacity Manual. We use numerous methods of analyses including Synchro/SimTraffic and HCS2010.
- Roundabout Studies, which study roundabout feasibility and capacity options based on aaSIDRA, our preferred software for roundabout analyses.
- Synchro Analysis, which uses Synchro/SimTraffic simulation software to analyze alternative options for signal timings at new installations, and for capacity analyses and re-optimization of existing signal systems. We have used Synchro to perform analyses on build and no-build scenarios for signal projects, as well as for signal timing optimizations such as splits, offsets, and cycle lengths.
- Spot Safety Studies, which include evaluating accident data, geometric conditions, pavement conditions, the presence and location of traffic control devices, and lighting conditions to determine the most likely cause of the accidents and recommend remedial actions.
- Origin/Destination Studies to determine travel patterns, volumes, and speeds, usually when assessing local traffic demands versus pass-through traffic within specific areas. We evaluate data and make recommendations to address issues associated with a new highway link, road closing, turning restrictions, traffic impacts through residential areas, heavy truck traffic, and others.
In addition, AMT provides Delay and Queue Studies, Trip Generation Studies, Traffic Calming Studies, Signal Warrant Studies, and more.