Amherst Street Water Main Replacement
AMT provided engineering design for the replacement of one mile of 8-inch water mains with 12-inch water mains along Amherst Street in Winchester, Virginia. We also provided engineering design for extension of a trail as well as the necessary surveying, subsurface utility locating and permit coordination.
Amherst Street is a main thoroughfare through the City of Winchester and one of the primary entrance points from the west. The City hired AMT to design approximately 5,200 linear feet of 12-inch water mains.
The Amherst Street Water Main project was challenging due to the age of the existing infrastructure, the diverse needs of the residents and businesses and the need to maintain open travel lanes and services to the area, which contains several schools and the Winchester Regional Medical Complex. Adding to the complexity of the project were the number of utility conflicts.
Services provided included:
- Topographic survey and SUE
- Replacement of existing 8-inch water mains with 12-inch water mains
- Condition assessments and analysis of remediation alternatives
- The tasks also included soils investigations, plat preparation, specifications, and cost estimates.
- Extension of an existing asphalt multi-use trail
- Engineering designs and preparation of construction documents
- Public meeting coordination with businesses and residents
- VDH permit coordination