DC Boundary Stones
Between 1741 and 1792, 40 stones were placed at one-mile intervals to mark the boundaries of the city of Washington DC. Thirty eight of the stones either survived or have been replaced to their original locations and, in 1915 were surrounded by fencing by the Daughters of the American Revolution.
AMT surveyed the stones using GPS and conventional survey methods so that they may be incorporated into the DC GIS geodatabase. Once finished, the data will be compared with existing boundary data for the District and to determine whether a new boundary is warranted.
For more information, visit http://boundarystones.org/ and http://boundarystones.org/articles/amt_1991.pdf