Waysons Corner Park & Ride
AMT provided schematic design/concept alternatives and final design services for the expansion of an existing commuter parking lot and modifications of bus access to/from the facility. AMT services included:
- Design Alternatives Analysis – Several alternatives were developed to avoid impacts to an existing stormwater pond while achieving the goal number of parking spaces. Alternatives considered operability, pavement materials (including porous pavement option) to achieve a “green” practice, impacts to environmental resources including trees, stormwater management (SWM) BMP options, and cost.
- Parking Lot Design – Prepared geometric design of parking stalls and circulation, grading, storm drainage, retaining walls, bus shelter layout, paving details, and entrance modifications. Prepared a request for geotechnical soil boring exploration. Incorporated existing utilities and other site features into the design solution.
Maintenance of Bus Services – Relocated bus loading area during construction of a portion of the lot. Evaluated service options with MDOT SHA District 5 Traffic.
- Interim “Utility” Design Submission – An interim design submission was provided to affected utility companies to identify possible impacts and propose relocation alternatives before further stormwater management or geometric design.
- Stormwater Management – Mitigated impacts to existing stormwater facility with proposed design options. Performed concept analysis for stormwater management to provide three options for client’s consideration, including use of permeable pavement (porous concrete) for parking stalls. Provided remediation design for a portion of existing stormwater management facility which was in disrepair. The park and ride lot is considered a “permeable pavement” pilot project for MDOT SHA.
- Environmental Impact Minimization – Performed forest stand delineation including field investigation of the study area to characterize the existing forest resources. Prepared Environmental Features Map to include steep slopes, floodplain, historic resources, soils, and wetlands. AMT also completed a Forest Conservation Application for submission to the Department of Natural Resources (DNR).
- Landscape Design – Provided landscape plan for parking lot and proposed stormwater management pond. Design was prepared to address environmental site design requirements while providing desirable aesthetics with little maintenance requirements.
- Porous Pavement Maintenance Plan – Proposed a maintenance plan for MDOT SHA’s maintenance of the porous pavement. Required coordination with MDOT SHA Facilities and Maintenance offices.
The project won a 2015 “Excellence in Concrete” Award from the Maryland Chapter of the American Concrete Institute for Pervious Pavements and was nominated for a “Green/Sustainability Excellence Award” in 2014 at MdQI.
The Park and Ride Facility was further modified in 2018 to improve bus access and operations by relocating the bus stop from MD 4 mainline to within the park and ride facility to improve safety of bus riders. Design included construction of bus turnaround on MD 4, utility test holes and relocations (BGE), infiltration trench to meet SWM requirements, and geometric modifications to P&R lot entrance and exit.