August 14, 2013
The Boots on the Ground series features the people at AMT who do the work out in the field, create the designs, plans, and analyses, and provide support that allows our company to thrive.
In our first Boots on the Ground post, we feature Eric Groah, a construction manager who works out of our Verona office with the Virginia Department of Transportation in its North West Regional Operations administering projects such as Signals, Guardrail, Signs, Pavement Markings, etc. While Eric is a great construction manager, he is also a Late Model Sportsman Division race car driver for his family’s Groah Racing Team.
Eric is a second generation driver who grew up helping and watching his father race. He can remember as a kid thinking of what it would be like to win in the family-owned #66. Together the family has built a strong competitor at the 3/8-mile dirt ovals at Natural Bridge Speedway in Natural Bridge, Virginia and Eastside Speedway in Waynesboro, Virginia. They compete in a 2012 Barry Wright Chassis powered by a Chevrolet motor built by Eric’s dad.
Eric’s team won the Division Championship in 2011, has won the Natural Bridge Speedway Sportsmanship Award and is currently second in the running for the 2013 Division Championship.
Team Groah credits its long-time sponsors with keeping Eric on the track. They are:
- Dale’s Automotive – Fairfield, Virginia
- Goad’s Body Shop – Lexington, Virginia
- Auto Parts & Supply – Vesuvius, Virginia
- Greenville Chopper Works – Staunton, Virginia
- J & D Racecar Parts – Staunton, Virginia
- J & K Distribution, LLC – Buena Vista, Virginia
- Thomas Groah Construction – Raphine, Virginia
- Perry Clark Water Service – Lexington, Virginia
- H & H Printing – Stuarts Draft, Virginia.
The Groah Racing Team is truly a family affair which consists of Eric Groah, Gina Groah (wife), Randie (daughter), Dale (Dad and engine builder), Jimmy (uncle), Dee (brother), Jason (brother), Jamie (cousin) and friend Kenny Buchanan.